Saturday, June 2, 2012

Sorry Babushka

Well, hello there!  It's been entirely too long, hasn't it?  To be honest, I had a backlog of about 4 entries from the past half a year, but I never did get around to them.  Instead of thinking back and writing sub-par reviews of those places, I decided to flush them all and start with a clean slate.  On that note, Cam and I went to Sorry Babushka today for their breakfast.  I've had it a few times, so I think that I can give a fairly solid review of the place!

Located at the corner of Commercial and 5th Avenue (2095 Commercial Drive), Sorry Babushka opened up about a year ago.  While a prime location on The Drive for a business, this is the third restaurant that I've seen in the location over the past 6 years.  I've generally found it a pretty good place to stop in for a drink ($3.25 beer specials and whatnot), and my Ukrainian friends said that the borscht was actually quite close to authentic.  Otherwise, I've found the dinner to be pretty standard.  Nothing too crazy, nothing too terrible.  Anywho, I'm here to tell you about breakfast, not drinking and dinner!

Cam and I arrived at about 9:30am, which is nice and early for a weekday in Vancouver.  We were given our choice of a spot to sit at, and so we chose a booth along the pony wall.  The server brought us a couple of menus, which are printed on newsprint and are made to look like newspapers.  We each ordered a coffee (about $2, free refills) and perused the menu.  I decided on a Western scramble ($8.95?), with a side of sour cream ($.75), while Cam went with a Farmer's Omelette, since it comes with "loads of fresh fruit".

It only took about 10 minutes max for our food to arrive...



As you can see, Cam did get a bunch of fresh fruit!  My food was the expected mash-up of cheese, peppers, eggs, onions and ham.  It was actually quite flavourful, considering my usual complaint of bland omelettes and scrambles in restaurants.  The potatoes were quite nice, as well.  Crispy, but not overdone.  Same goes for the toast.

I'd have to say that both of us were pleased with our food, especially for under $10.  At the same time, it wasn't anything special.  I do also know that from previous visits that the food can be hit and miss.  With that, I think that we'll have to give a total of 3 Bacons out of 5!  Portions and price, along with average food quality makes me give it just above average for the total score.  If you want something cheap-ish, but filling, I'd suggest Sorry Babushka.  I have yet to try the $2.99 breakfast ($4.99 on weekends/holidays), but I just might one of these days.

Stay sharp, kids
Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment